Translate

Thursday 15 January 2015

Rimmel Scandal'Eyes waterproof kohl kajal eyeliner in 06 deep blue and 01 black review


So I forgot to do it before, but I've edited some of my photos because I'm a crap photographer (sharpening in an effort to fix blurriness is really all I've done), so I figured in the interests of transparency I now need to label all the pictures I've altered (although considering how bad my photo editing skills are I think it's pretty obvious which ones have been edited, and which haven't). I'll be going back through my posts and labelling the pictures so after today all pictures on this blog that have been altered will be labelled as such. (technically I've altered all of them since I add a watermark but you get the idea).

Seriously Rimmel why the heck have you called it a “kohl kajal” liner? Kajal = kohl!

    Anyway, when these eyeliners came out last year, I was interested in some of the colours, but didn’t have very high hopes as I already owned a Rimmel pencil eyeliner that creased on me and wasn’t as black as I wanted. But when I swatched the blue (the black tester was always missing, or there weren’t any blacks at all) I was pleasantly surprised by the richness of colour and the smooth application. I bought 06 deep blue on sale in 2013, and bought 01 black late last year (also on sale), hence why the blue one is a bit shorter.


    These pencils aren’t wrapped in wood but in some kind of hard black plastic that sharpens without the splinters. The clear plastic lids are a snug fit but they don’t have a ridge or anything to keep them there, so while these pencils could last in a handbag without popping open, I wouldn’t say they definitely won’t. At least the lids are made of good strong plastic, because they haven’t cracked on me yet.
06 deep blue (edited because out of focus)
    The eyeliner itself is creamy, smudge-able for a couple of seconds, then dries with no difference in texture (commendable because some products dry to a distinctly uncomfortable texture), and won’t budge without some serious rubbing. The eyeliners creamy texture on closer inspection has a slightly waxy, emollient feel to it (which may be why they weren’t packaged in wood, as wood could soak that up), and since wax is hydrophobic, it will at least partly repel water. I swatched the black for a black liner comparison post I’m planning, and I did put my hand under the tap and then rub it a bit, and it didn’t move, so after drying down this eyeliner is more or less waterproof.
 
01 black (edited because out of focus)
    While it says budge-proof in the ads, it's also a kajal/kohl eyeliner so it should smudge as well, which is a bit confusing when you think about it. Regardless, I have worn these for several hours and they are certainly resistant to the average rubbing. I do get some creasing in my inner corner after about 4 hours, but given how my eyelid folds and the fact that my lashline tends to get a little oily, that's pretty much unavoidable (waterproof things are usually weak to oil). It didn’t transfer onto my upper lid so I would certainly consider this a transfer-proof pencil, and more or less budge-proof. I’ve worn it for around 6 hours with no problems, but if you apply a liner that creases on top, they both crease so it’s not completely resistant. This liner comes off with makeup remover quite easily, although due to the black pencils rich pigment it can kinda smear a bit before wiping off completely.
    06 deep blue is pigmented in one swipe, though it won't completely cover your skintone altogether, so it’s not as opaque as it is pigmented. In 2-3 swipes it’s at full opacity, but this is slightly more difficult to achieve on the waterline as after 1-2 goes the pencil just ends up pushing product around. I love that even though it’s a dark blue, it’s a proper blue and not one of those sodding blue eyeliners-that-are-actually-grey-black. I’ve used this in my waterline before and while it wasn’t completely opaque, I clearly had a blue waterline. Ah, satisfaction. The slightly more waxy nature of 06 deep blue also means that it tugs the eyelid ever so slightly when applying, since it’s not very creamy, just creamy enough for a smooth application.
 
06 deep blue swatch


    The black in comparison is pitch black, but it’s almost too creamy, less waxy than the blue and therefore it actually does transfer initially, just because there’s too much product. Also because of it’s excessive creaminess the tip goes blunt much faster than the 06 deep blue does. So 01 black needs to be applied with a light hand, and sharpened frequently. I haven’t tried using this in my waterline yet, but I suspect it’s rich colour and creaminess would be great for tightlining, so long as you don’t get excess liner smudging onto the lashline (unless that’s the look you’re going for, in which case perfect).
 
01 black swatch (edited because out of focus)


    Overall I’d definitely recommend this pencil, though I’d also suggest swatching to see if the colour you want is on the waxier or creamier side of the spectrum. If you have fairly oily eyelids and you use this liner without a primer it will probably crease later, and in the case of the black, may transfer onto your eyelid depending on how your eyelid folds. So a good eyeliner that definitely does the job, you just need to make sure, as with all mass produced products, that you’re picking the version that works best for you. 


Effectiveness: 8/10
Feel: 8/10
Packaging: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment