Translate

Tuesday 20 January 2015

Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser review

Ok so it's technically not Tuesday anymore eheh, but I'm still awake so we're gonna pretend it's still Tuesday yeah? 

And I had to pick today to say that since my backlog is almost gone, I'm lowering it to one review each on Tuesday and Thursday. (Even though I still have some old reviews, I haven't figured out how to take the photographs for them yet so they're going to continue to sit on the back burner while I review other things) 

Today's review is on the already-reviewed-to-death-so-I'm-just-adding-my-2 cents Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser!



    I had high expectations for this cleanser as it's supposed to be for sensitive skin AND good at cleaning, where often 'for sensitive skin' just means doesn't do jack. But after using it for more than two months, I'm still a bit on the fence about it. I bought a smaller bottle that just came with a plain lid, no pump, and contains 250 ml of cleanser. The plastic bottle is light and flexible, and it’s shape can be annoying or convenient depending on where you put it. The flattened shape makes it easy to put on thin shelves, but it’s also quite wide, so since my shelf is lacking in space I end up just putting it on the floor of the shower.



    In terms of the product itself, I feel like the cleanser does clean the surface of my skin, (i don't use it to clean makeup tho) my face feels clean and not dry, my forehead isn't oily at all after using a bit of this, but on the other hand, my acne hasn't improved one bit while using it. My face also doesn’t feel refreshed, or really clean, as if it’s free of all the dirt and dust that accumulates overtime. So it cleans the surface, but it doesn't deep clean I guess. 
It’s like my pores aren’t totally clean but my skin feels clean to the touch, it’s weird.

    Secondly I don't like the texture as it's too thin and too much comes out every time so I would prefer the pump packaging that comes with the larger bottles. The cleanser comes out as a thin silvery liquid, and doesn't foam up much; it feels like I'm putting some thinned out lotion on my face. I don't like that feeling, it reminds me of the QV cleanser, which I also stopped using for the same reasons (wasn’t cleaning enough, too runny etc.). For the price I think it's a good basic cleanser but I need more.




    Ingredients wise, this cleanser doesn’t contain any fragrance or soap. It contains sodium lauryl sulphate, so it’s not sulphate free although considering it barely foams up, it probably has very little sodium lauryl sulphate in it. Cetyl alcohol (2nd ingredient) is often used as an emollient, which I guess is what it’s doing here, because it sure as hell isn’t working as a thickening agent. Propylene glycol (3rd ingredient) is used as a humectant and sometimes as a solvent, however some people do react to this chemical. It appears to be a very common ingredient in skincare so I suspect that very few people are allergic to it; I myself had no issues with this cleanser irritating my skin. The cleanser is certainly non-drying and non-irritating, which I attribute to the above, it’s just that I need a stronger cleanser than this.



    If I wanted a gentle cleanser, I'd rather use the puretopia creamy cleanser; it’s thicker, smells nice and I feel like it does a slightly better job. It’s probably only in my head but whatever, plus I can argue that the Puretopia creamy cleanser is produced sustainably (arguing with myself over products, such is my life). I’m fairly certain the Puretopia creamy cleanser is also more expensive as a result though, so if you’re on a budget . . .

    For me personally, I might repurchase this cleanser again if I ever stop getting cystic acne, and/or my skin is having a colossal eczema freakout, but otherwise, I’m not satisfied with the amount of clean this cleanser provides, if that makes sense. If you want a cleanser that lathers, or a cleanser that leaves your face feeling squeaky clean, this is not the cleanser for you. If however you don’t normally get acne, and your skin is sensitive or reacts/is allergic to things like soap, parabens etc., then I would recommend this cleanser to you.

Effectiveness: 6/10
Feel: 5/10
Formulation: 6/10
Packaging: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment